Saturday, 26 May 2018

Random's article on the Armstrong is in the latest issue of Sideburn #33.

I'm made up, never had a bike in a magazine before, massive thanks to Dave for the words and pics and to Gary for publishing it!

Sideburn Shop

Saturday, 19 May 2018

Been busy doing stuff, here's a quick phone dump!

The Lovely benchdonkees-in-law bought me a vertical milling machine which I've sorted some tooling for and serviced, new belts etc. In no particular order; found a couple of pinholes in a swinging arm I had to repair! The exhaust bracket on the Armstrong finally gave up (it was only 3mm ally), so I fabbed a new one. Sorted the front rear mudguard mount on Random's bitsa.

Thursday, 5 April 2018

The other Friday me and Jim went for a ride down to Mallory Park for the BHR test day.

A couple of our mates race K100 outfits in the BEARS class so we had the craic with them and a good wander round the pits. Some very interesting bikes taking to the track, from TZ750s to a CG125, more classic and vintage bikes than you could shake a stick at, sidecars and scooters. Had a grand day out and a cracking ride!

Saturday, 17 March 2018

Having a bike cull!

I've decided to move some bikes on, stuff that's taking up time and space that could be put to better use.
The first one to go will be the SR250, gonna put it on the 'bay tomorrow. Next I've got a standard Z440 that's a little rough cosmetically but runs ok and will have an mot. Then the 400/4 café racer which I'm going to treat to a new tank, hidden battery and powder coated frame. After that the Prattstyle Z440 will be up for grabs and finally my 1929 CN500 Triumph project which I've finally come to realise I'm never going to get round to restoring.
When they're all gone I'll have much more room and some cash towards something I really want, maybe a flathead Harley or similar.

Sunday, 11 March 2018

Steady progress on Random's Tribsa chop.

I've managed to get a few little bits sorted on the chop over the last couple of weeks, despite the lack of heating in the garage. Machined an ally plate that sits on the bottom yoke to hit a couple of lockstops that I've tacked to the frame. Fabricated some downpipe brackets to replace the ones someone had bodge welded in the past and got the seat finally mounted.

Sunday, 4 March 2018

6 years yesterday I started this blog 'cos Daz said it was a good idea. Just as a record of this and future builds.

I'd always built and messed around with bikes and wanted to build something similar to the bikes that the Wrenchmonkees (where the blog name originated) were creating at the time. Z750 twins were a tad too expensive and their smaller sibling the Z400 were just as good looking and easier on the pocket.
So onwards via a cafe racer, street tracker and a few unfinished projects back to the British bikes that I've always loved, a couple of bob jobs and now Random's chop.
When I first got into bikes in the early 80s, I was in my mid teens, BSH had just been born and I wanted a proper chopper. More years than I like to think about have passed and I seem to be heading back in that direction.

Sunday, 25 February 2018

Last Sunday I went to sunny Mablethorpe with Random to see some sand blasting!

Saw some cracking bikes, chatted with some lovely folk and watched great racing. Although you can't beat watching the way the grass bikes drift over the sand , the class that does it for me are the modified road bikes. Not only because it's more my kind of thing, the transformation of a daily commuter into a fire breathing race bike. It's also the eclectic mix of machinery on the start line, 1000cc vee twins up against 600cc singles up against 600cc fours, and the difference in techniques battling those beasts around some kind of oval whilst trying to come out on top. That and it's proper no frills grassless roots amateur racing at it's best!

Sunday, 14 January 2018

Made up a brake rod and fittings.

I had to get some new shoes, the old ones had been buggered about with, to get the brake arm to sit and work right. Then threaded some 6mm stainless bar, turned up the brake rod barrel and nut and bought a rod end bearing off the bay. Also welded an adjustable stop on the pedal, after modicating it to suit the bearing. Random popped round Friday so we had it outside to check the footrests and pedal were all in the right place.